Liver and OnionsCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
Before using liver, it is recommended to soak it to remove most of the bitter taste, you can soak it in lemon juice, Apple cider vinegar, sauerkraut juice or milk, this step is not essential but will make the liver more palatable. You will also find that grass-fed and pastured liver taste significantly better than conventional grain fed.
One large onion
250ml beef stock
Cooking oil of your choice (beef tallow, ghee, coconut oil)
- Get your frying pan hot and add your oil, add the liver and brown on both sides.
- Once a nice caramelization has begun to form, add the onions, add salt to draw out the moisture.
- Continue cooking until onions are beginning to brown and go crispy, at this point add the beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins to an hour, checking the consistency of the gravy regularly.
- Add water to loosen the gravy up or cook for longer to thicken it.
- Serve by itself or with a side dish like a salad, boiled vegetables or avocado.