Beef Stew is a classic hearty dish that has been a favourite for generations. It’s a meal that can be enjoyed on a cold winter’s day or at any time of the year. The beauty of this recipe is that it’s easy to make and can be customised to suit individual tastes.
Beef StewCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
800g chunky diced beef
Olive oil to drizzle
30g cooking fat of your choice (beef tallow is best)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped or minced
2 Medium onions (can be swapped for shallots)
2 sticks of celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
100g small button mushrooms
15g of fresh thyme
4 ripe vine tomatoes or 100ml tomato purée
500ml beef stock
2 fresh bay leaves
- Get a pan to a high heat, add the cooking oil and the beef, and begin to sear and brown the meat.
- Once browned on the outside, add the vegetables and allow them to sweat a little, add some salt at this point to draw out the moisture.
- After 10 mins add the stock, tomatoes, and herbs.
- Bring to the boil and either leave to cook on the hob for at least an hour, or transfer to a crock-pot and cook 8–24 hours.
- Serve and drizzle with olive oil and herbs to garnish.